Monday 12 February
Partners are invited to meet at the Box coffee shop at 1000 to touch base with other Congress partners and friends.
You are most welcome to have Lunch at the Congress or a lunch box will be organised.
The Auckland City Walk leaves from the Queens Wharf Village (89 Quay Street) and heads up through Britomart Transport Centre, taking you through the city's pedestrian laneways and right up to the recently renovated Auckland Art Gallery.
You'll then wander through the historic Albert Park and University of Auckland, before heading back down to Auckland's famous viaduct precinct and across Te Wero Bridge, concluding among the hustle and bustle of the always-interesting Silo Park.
Tuesday 13 February
Matakana 'foodie' tour - all day
Discover the delicious tastes of fresh Matakana Coast produce; served in local restaurants or purchased from the roadside. The quality and care our passionate locals instil in the creation of their produce is evident in the taste sensations you will experience.
The Matakana Taste Tour includes visits to two wineries as well as three local producers of your choice – choose from the following: Sausages, boutique cheeses, hand made chocolates, gourmet Smoke House, oysters, honey, ice cream, olive oil, pure water & a farmer's market option on Saturdays.
Tiritiri Matangi Island (Bird Sanctuary) – all day
Tiritiri Matangi Island is a wildlife sanctuary and one of New Zealand's most important and exciting conservation projects. It is located 30km north east of central Auckland and just 4km from the end of the Whangaparaoa Peninsula. A hundred and twenty years of farming had seen this 220-hectare island stripped of 94% of its native bush but between 1984 and 1994, volunteers planted between 250,000 and 300,000 trees. The Island is now 60% forested with the remaining 40% left as grassland for species preferring open habitat.
As well as wonderful wildlife Tiritiri Matangi has a lighthouse, a Visitor Centre some great walks and views and beaches. Most visitors start with a guided walk which finishes at the Visitor Centre where free tea and coffee is provided. There are plenty of tables outside to have your lunch and if it is wet there is plenty of room in the Visitor Centre.
In the afternoon you may want to explore some of the east coast, relax around the Visitor Centre or head for Hobbs Beach for a swim. Please click here to find out more about Tiritiri Matangi.
Wednesday 14 February
Partners will be able to register for the Congress Technical Field Trips.
Congress Technical Field trips
Possible trip options:
- Forestry breeding
- Dairy Recording and breeding
- Sheep recording and breeding
- Beef recording and breeding
- Aquaculture breeding
- Conservation genetics
- Shell Fish genetics
- Grapes and wine
- Companion animals (drug screening, NZ post)
- Lab animals
Thursday 15 February
Art Gallery – includes tour and lunch
Auckland Art Gallery, Toi o Tamaki, is the principal public gallery in Auckland, New Zealand, and has the most extensive collection of national and international art in the country. With multiple exhibition spaces spreading across three levels of the award-winning building, it is the largest and most inspiring visual arts experience in Aotearoa New Zealand. Their collection and loan collections currently number over 16,000 artworks. Together, they include major holdings of New Zealand historic, modern and contemporary art. Alongside outstanding works by Maori and Pacific artists, they represent significant international painting, sculpture and print collections.
Museum - includes tour, cultural welcome
In one of New Zealand's most outstanding historical buildings, boldly situated in the Domain - a central city pleasure garden - you encounter exhibitions that will excite you with the artistic legacy and cultures of the Pacific people. See the monumental carvings, buildings, canoes and taonga (treasures) of the Maori.
Bush walk in the Waitakere Ranges
The Waitakere Ranges Regional Park is home to some of Auckland's most visited natural treasures. Explore the lush native rainforest, scenic coastline and windswept black-sand beaches. Waitakere Ranges walks are the best way to experience the area's beauty and there's a huge range of other activities on offer.
Friday 16 February
Some suggestions for the day